Ameritas Life Insurance Company, on behalf of itself and its affiliates, (collectively, "Ameritas", "we", "us", or “our”) is the operator of the websites with home pages at ameritas.com (referred to collectively as the “Site”). We know privacy is important to you; it is also vital to our business. This Website Privacy Notice (“Notice”) describes who we are, the types of "Personal Information" (information that is identifiable to a particular person) that we collect (directly or through service providers) in connection with the Site, how that Personal Information is used, shared and protected, and how you can exercise your privacy rights. This Notice is considered part of the Terms and Conditions of Use (the “Terms”). If you have any questions or concerns about our use of Personal Information about you, then please contact us using the contact details provided at the bottom of this Notice. We recommend that you read this Notice in full to ensure you are fully informed.
- What does Ameritas do?
Ameritas is a mutual organization offering competitive insurance, employee benefits, retirement and investment products headquartered in Lincoln, Nebraska, USA with offices in Cincinnati, Ohio; Wayne, Nebraska; San Antonio, Texas; Bethesda, Maryland; and Minnetonka, Minnesota, and agencies across the country (“Group Affiliates”). Additional information about Ameritas and its Group Affiliates can be found here.
- What Types of "Personal Information" We Collect, and How We Collect, Use and Disclose It.
The Personal Information that we may collect about you broadly falls into the following categories:
- Personal Information you directly submit to us: Ameritas may provide you the opportunity to do such things as subscribe to email alerts regarding Ameritas events or company news, to request company information, or to request product or service information through an email contact form. Such information may include your name, your company's name, your personal or company email address or other contact information. It is up to you whether to provide this information. Such information will be used and disclosed as reasonably necessary to meet your needs and respond to your requests, such as disclosing it to our email service provider to send you emails or to one of our affiliated entities to provide you with requested product information.
- Information that we collect automatically: When you visit the Site, we may collect certain information automatically from your device or the browsing software that it uses. In some jurisdictions, this information may be considered Personal Information (or “personal data”) under applicable data protection laws. Details about this information are provided in section 5 below (Cookies, browser information and tracking technology).
Ameritas may disclose Personal Information about you to its Group Affiliates, third party service providers and partners who provide data processing services to us (for example, to support the delivery of, provide functionality on, or help to enhance the security of our Site), or who otherwise process Personal Information for purposes that are described in this Notice or notified to you when we collect Personal Information about you. Parties with whom we may share Personal Information are bound to contracts requiring them to use and disclose Personal Information only for the permitted purposes set forth in the contract and to use reasonable security measures to protect Personal Information from unauthorized access and use. View information about our Group Affiliates. Ameritas may also disclose Personal Information about you to an actual or potential buyer (and its agents and advisers) in connection with any actual or proposed purchase, merger or acquisition of any part of our business, provided that we inform the buyer it must use Personal Information only for the purposes disclosed in this Notice. Ameritas may also use and disclose Personal Information to comply with laws, regulations, court orders and lawful instructions from government agencies, where we believe disclosure is necessary (i) as a matter of applicable law or regulation, (ii) to exercise, establish or defend our legal rights, or (iii) to protect your vital interests or those of any other person.
- Cookies, Browser Information and Related Issues
- Cookies: We use “cookies” (small data files placed on your computer or other device by the server when you visit the Site) and similar tracking technology described below to collect and use information about you and the device you use to access the Site. Our cookie statement can be found here.
- Browser Data: We collect certain standard information that your browser sends to every website you visit, such as the originating IP address, browser type and language, access times and referring website addresses. This data may be used, among other reasons, to improve the operation and security of the Site by assisting in "authenticating" who you are when you access the Site, particularly if you register for access to a section of the Site with restricted access and are issued or create a username and password.
- Device Data: In addition, we may collect technical data about the device used to access the Site ("Device Data") (such as unique device ID, device model, operating system version, application types and versions, plug-ins, and time zone and geolocation information). Device Data may be used as part of our security controls to uniquely identify the device and authenticate the user when accessing the Site. Device Data may be shared (along with information about any fraudulent transactions using the device) with one or more third-party service providers. These providers will compare and add the Device Data and fraud data to a database of similar device and fraud information in order to identify and block access to the Site by devices associated with fraudulent or abusive activity. We will not share with service providers any information that personally identifies the user of the device.
- Site Usage Data: We may also collect information about how your device has interacted with our Site, including the pages accessed and links clicked. Collecting this information enables us to better understand the visitors who come to our Site, where they come from, and what content on our Site is of interest to them. We use this information for our internal analytics purposes and to improve the security, quality and relevance of our Site to our visitors.
- Tracking: With respect to information about an individual's online activities over time and across different websites or online services, when a visitor uses this Site, except as required by law: (1) parties other than the operator of this Site are not permitted to collect such information, and (2) the operator of this Site does not collect such information (except information reasonably necessary to process and document user transactions). Therefore, this Site has no need to respond to and does not respond to Web browser "do not track" signals or other mechanisms that enable individuals to exercise choice regarding the collection of such information.
- Embedded Pixels: Pixel technology allows us to measure the effectiveness of our website advertising. We may use pixel technologies on our website pages for the purposes of identifying unique visitors to our site as opposed to general, aggregated numbers of visits to our site. Tracking pixel cookies are also used for the purpose of interest-based advertising activities. We may use these pixels to send, customize, target, serve and report on Ameritas advertisements that may be of interest to previous visitors to our website. No personal information is collected when we use embedded pixel technology.
- How We Protect Personal Information About You
To protect Personal Information about you from unauthorized access and use, Ameritas maintains physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards, and requires those to whom we disclose Personal Information (including our employees and service providers) to do the same. The measures we use are designed to provide a level of security appropriate to the risk of processing Personal Information.
- International data transfers
Personal Information about you may be transferred to, and processed in, countries other than the country in which you are resident. These countries may have data protection laws that are different than the laws of your country. Specifically, our Site servers are located in the United States, and our Group Affiliates and third party service providers and partners operate around the world. This means that when we collect Personal Information we may process it in any of these countries. However, we have taken appropriate safeguards to require that Personal Information will remain protected in accordance with this Notice, including appropriate safeguards with our third party service providers and partners.
- Data retention
We retain Personal Information about you where we have an ongoing legitimate business need to do so, for example, to provide you with a service you have requested or to comply with applicable legal, tax or accounting requirements. When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process Personal Information about you, we will either delete or anonymize it or, if this is not possible, for example, because the Personal Information has been stored in backup archives, then we will securely store the Personal Information and isolate it from any further processing until deletion is possible.
- Keeping Up to Date with this Notice
Ameritas may update this Notice from time to time in response to changing legal, technical or business developments by posting a revised version on this Site, which will be effective at the time it is posted for all Personal Information collected thereafter unless a delayed effective date is expressly stated in the revision. When we update this Notice, we will take appropriate measures to inform you, consistent with the significance of the changes we make. We will obtain your consent to any material changes to this Notice if and where this is required by applicable data protection laws. You can see when this Notice was last updated by checking the “last updated” date displayed at the top of this Notice.
- Supplemental Privacy Policies: Some areas, features and services on the Site may be offered on the condition that you view and agree to privacy terms and disclosures specific to those areas, features and services. Those specific privacy terms and disclosures will be deemed to supplement the terms and disclosures in this Notice.
- Links to Third-Party Sites: This Site may provide links to other sites operated by third parties over whom Ameritas has no control and whose privacy policies may differ from those found in this Notice. These links are provided for your convenience. If you browse on or submit Personal Information to any of those sites, information about you may be collected by them and will be governed by their privacy policies.
- How to contact us
If you have any questions or concerns about our use of Personal Information about you, please contact us using the following details: email@example.com. The data controller of Personal Information collected through the Site is Ameritas Life Insurance Company, 5900 “O” Street, Lincoln, NE 68510.