Ameritas Online Privacy Notice
Ameritas Life Insurance Company, on behalf of itself and its affiliates, (collectively, “Ameritas”, “we”, “us”, or “our”) is the operator of the websites with home pages at ameritas.com (referred to collectively as the “Site”). We know privacy is important to you; it is also vital to our business. This Website Privacy Notice (“Notice”) describes who we are, the types of “Personal Information” (information that is identifiable to a particular person) that we collect (directly or through service providers) in connection with the Site, how that Personal Information is used, shared and protected, and how you can exercise your privacy rights. This Notice is considered part of the Terms and Conditions of Use (the “Terms”). If you have any questions or concerns about our use of Personal Information about you, then please contact us using the contact details provided at the bottom of this Notice. We recommend that you read this Notice in full to ensure you are fully informed.
What does Ameritas do?
Ameritas is a mutual organization offering competitive insurance, employee benefits, retirement and investment products headquartered in Lincoln, Nebraska, USA with offices in Cincinnati, Ohio; Wayne, Nebraska; San Antonio, Texas; Bethesda, Maryland; and Minnetonka, Minnesota, and agencies across the country (“Group Affiliates”). Additional information about Ameritas and its Group Affiliates can be found here: about us.
What types of “personal information” we collect, and how we collect, use and disclose it
The Personal Information that we may collect about you broadly falls into the following categories
- Personal information you directly submit to us: Ameritas may provide you the opportunity to do such things as subscribe to email alerts regarding Ameritas events or company news, to request company information, or to request product or service information through an email contact form. Such information may include your name, your company’s name, your personal or company email address or other contact information. It is up to you whether to provide this information. Such information will be used and disclosed as reasonably necessary to meet your needs and respond to your requests, such as disclosing it to our email service provider to send you emails or to one of our affiliated entities to provide you with requested product information. In addition to this Policy, Ameritas’ written Privacy Notices further describe how we handle your personal information shared with us, such as when you apply for or purchase our products and services becoming our customer. These policies can be found on Ameritas.com.
- Information that we collect automatically: When you visit the Site, we may collect certain information automatically from your device or the browsing software that it uses. In some jurisdictions, this information may be considered Personal Information (or “personal data”) under applicable data protection laws. Details about this information are provided in section 5 below (Cookies, browser information and tracking technology).
- Children’s privacy: Unless otherwise specified, our sites are not directed toward children. We do not knowingly collect information from children under the age of 13. If we learn that personal information on a child under the age of 13 is collected, we will delete that information from our systems.
Ameritas may disclose Personal Information about you to its Group Affiliates, third party service providers and partners who provide data processing services to us (for example, to support the delivery of, provide functionality on, or help to enhance the security of our Site), or who otherwise process Personal Information for purposes that are described in this Notice or notified to you when we collect Personal Information about you. Parties with whom we may share Personal Information are bound to contracts requiring them to use and disclose Personal Information only for the permitted purposes set forth in the contract and to use reasonable security measures to protect Personal Information from unauthorized access and use. Information about our Group Affiliates is available here: company organization chart.
Ameritas may also disclose Personal Information about you to an actual or potential buyer (and its agents and advisers) in connection with any actual or proposed purchase, merger or acquisition of any part of our business, provided that we inform the buyer it must use Personal Information only for the purposes disclosed in this Notice. Ameritas may also use and disclose Personal Information to comply with laws, regulations, court orders and lawful instructions from government agencies, where we believe disclosure is necessary (i) as a matter of applicable law or regulation, (ii) to exercise, establish or defend our legal rights, or (iii) to protect your vital interests or those of any other person.
Cookies, browser information and related issues
- Cookies: We use “cookies” (small data files placed on your computer or other device by the server when you visit the Site) and similar tracking technology described below to collect and use information about you and the device you use to access the Site. Our cookie statement can be found here: Ameritas Cookie Statement.
- Browser data: We collect certain standard information that your browser sends to every website you visit, such as the originating IP address, browser type and language, access times and referring website addresses. This data may be used, among other reasons, to improve the operation and security of the Site by assisting in “authenticating” who you are when you access the Site, particularly if you register for access to a section of the Site with restricted access and are issued or create a username and password.
- Device data: In addition, we may collect technical data about the device used to access the Site (“Device Data”) (such as unique device ID, device model, operating system version, application types and versions, plug-ins, and time zone and geolocation information). Device Data may be used as part of our security controls to uniquely identify the device and authenticate the user when accessing the Site. Device Data may be shared (along with information about any fraudulent transactions using the device) with one or more third-party service providers. These providers will compare and add the Device Data and fraud data to a database of similar device and fraud information in order to identify and block access to the Site by devices associated with fraudulent or abusive activity. We will not share with service providers any information that personally identifies the user of the device.
- Site usage data: We may also collect information about how your device has interacted with our Site, including the pages accessed and links clicked. Collecting this information enables us to better understand the visitors who come to our Site, where they come from, and what content on our Site is of interest to them. We use this information for our internal analytics purposes and to improve the security, quality and relevance of our Site to our visitors.
- Tracking: With respect to information about an individual’s online activities over time and across different websites or online services, when a visitor uses this Site, except as required by law: (1) parties other than the operator of this Site are not permitted to collect such information, and (2) the operator of this Site does not collect such information (except information reasonably necessary to process and document user transactions). Therefore, this Site has no need to respond to and does not respond to Web browser “do not track” signals or other mechanisms that enable individuals to exercise choice regarding the collection of such information.
- Embedded pixels: Pixel technology allows us to measure the effectiveness of our website advertising. We may use pixel technologies on our website pages for the purposes of identifying unique visitors to our site as opposed to general, aggregated numbers of visits to our site. Tracking pixel cookies are also used for the purpose of interest-based advertising activities. We may use these pixels to send, customize, target, serve and report on Ameritas advertisements that may be of interest to previous visitors to our website. No personal information is collected when we use embedded pixel technology.
How we protect personal information about you
To protect Personal Information about you from unauthorized access and use, Ameritas maintains physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards, and requires those to whom we disclose Personal Information (including our employees and service providers) to do the same. The measures we use are designed to provide a level of security appropriate to the risk of processing Personal Information.
International data transfers
Personal Information about you may be transferred to, and processed in, countries other than the country in which you are resident. These countries may have data protection laws that are different than the laws of your country. Specifically, our Site servers are located in the United States, and our Group Affiliates and third party service providers and partners operate around the world. This means that when we collect Personal Information we may process it in any of these countries. However, we have taken appropriate safeguards to require that Personal Information will remain protected in accordance with this Notice, including appropriate safeguards with our third party service providers and partners.
We retain Personal Information about you where we have an ongoing legitimate business need to do so, for example, to provide you with a service you have requested or to comply with applicable legal, tax or accounting requirements. When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process Personal Information about you, we will either delete or anonymize it or, if this is not possible, for example, because the Personal Information has been stored in backup archives, then we will securely store the Personal Information and isolate it from any further processing until deletion is possible.
Keeping up to date with this notice
Ameritas may update this Notice from time to time in response to changing legal, technical or business developments by posting a revised version on this Site, which will be effective at the time it is posted for all Personal Information collected thereafter unless a delayed effective date is expressly stated in the revision. When we update this Notice, we will take appropriate measures to inform you, consistent with the significance of the changes we make. We will obtain your consent to any material changes to this Notice if and where this is required by applicable data protection laws. You can see when this Notice was last updated by checking the “last updated” date displayed at the bottom of this Notice.
- Supplemental privacy policies: Some areas, features and services on the Site may be offered on the condition that you view and agree to privacy terms and disclosures specific to those areas, features and services. Those specific privacy terms and disclosures will be deemed to supplement the terms and disclosures in this Notice.
- Links to third-party sites: This Site may provide links to other sites operated by third parties over whom Ameritas has no control and whose privacy policies may differ from those found in this Notice. These links are provided for your convenience. If you browse on or submit Personal Information to any of those sites, information about you may be collected by them and will be governed by their privacy policies.
How to contact us
If you have any questions or concerns about our use of Personal Information about you, please contact us using the following details: privacy@Ameritas.com. The data controller of Personal Information collected through the Site is Ameritas Life Insurance Company, 5900 “O” Street, Lincoln, NE 68510.
California state specific notice
This section only applies to you if you are a resident of California. This section modifies your rights under this notice to the extent that the following terms are inconsistent with any other provision(s) contained in this notice.
- Do not sell: Ameritas does not sell personal information.
- Categories of personal information we collect: The categories of personal information we collect depend on the product or service you have with us and may include your name, postal address, email address, Social Security number, driver’s license number, passport number, professional or employment-related information and other financial information. If you visit our website, we may collect your Internet (IP) address, browsing history, search history and information regarding your interaction with our web sites, applications and advertisements.
- Purposes for which we collect personal information:The business purposes for which we collect personal information include the provision of financial products and services(e.g. maintaining accounts, processing payments, servicing customers), auditing consumer interactions and transactions, detecting security incidents and preventing fraud, identifying and repairing errors that impair functionality, activities to verify or enhance the quality of services, and other internal uses permitted under applicable laws.
- Third parties with which personal information is shared:All financial companies need to share personal information to run their everyday business. The categories of third parties with which Ameritas shares personal information include service providers, third party administrators, brokers, independent agents, plan sponsors, managing general agents, program administrators and affiliates.
- Right to disclosure: Your right to request that Ameritas disclose to you the following: (1) the categories of personal information we have collected about you, (2) the categories of sources from which the personal information was collected, (3) the business or commercial purpose for collecting the personal information, (4) the categories of third parties with which we share the personal information, and (5) the specific pieces of personal information we have collect about you.
- Right to information about onward disclosures: Your right to request that Ameritas disclose to you the following: (1) the fact that we do not sell your personal information, and (2) the categories of your personal information that we have disclosed for a business purpose.
- Right to prohibit sales: Your right to direct a business that sells personal information to third parties not sell your personal information. Ameritas does not sell personal information.
- Right to deletion: Your right to request that Ameritas delete your personal information, unless it is necessary for us to retain it for a purpose permitted by law.
- Right to fair treatment: We may not discriminate against you for exercising any of your individual rights, such as by denying your products or services, charging you different prices or rates, or providing a different level or quality of products and services.
To Exercise your individual rights, you may contact us at:
Ameritas Privacy Office
Lincoln, NE 68501-1889
Text Messaging (SMS) Program
Terms & Conditions
These SMS Services terms and conditions, which include Ameritas Subscriber Alerts, were established on and have an effective date of September 1, 2020.
By subscribing to Ameritas Subscriber Alerts through your Profile on Ameritas Accounts (customers) or your Profile on Producer Workbench (agents), you agree to receive text messages from Ameritas. You will receive a confirmation text message and you will need to reply “Yes” to complete your opt-in process. If you do not receive a message back, please check your phone settings to ensure you can send and receive from short code numbers. Message and data rates may apply.
Text messages may be sent using an automatic telephone dialing system and may be sent using SMS, MMS or other technology. Consent to receive such messages is not required as a condition of purchasing any goods or services. Message frequency will vary by account, but is generally less than 8 messages per month.
Text YES to 96104 to receive mobile offers from Ameritas. Reply HELP for help or to receive more information. If you change your mobile phone number, you agree to promptly notify Ameritas. Reply STOP to stop receiving text messages in connection with your use of the Services. You may receive a final text confirming your opt-out. Texting or Replying STOP will stop all messages from Ameritas Subscriber Alerts.
The following carriers are supported: SouthernLinc, Bandwidth, Google Voice, Buffalo Wireless, Chariton Valley Cellular, Leaco, CableVision, Copper Valley, AT&T, Sprint/Boost/Virgin, T-Mobile/MetroPCS, Verizon Wireless, CellCom USA, C Spire Wireless, U.S. Cellular, Pine Belt Wireless, ACS/Alaska, Atlantic Tele-Network International (ATN), Advantage Cellular (DTC Wireless), Appalachian Wireless, Bluegrass Cellular, Cellular Network Partnership (PIONEER), Cellular One of East Central Illinois, Chat Mobility USA, Coral Wireless (Mobi PCS), Element Mobile (Flat Wireless), Epic Touch (Elkhart Telephone), GCI Communications Corp, Golden State Cellular, Illinois Valley Cellular (IV Cellular), i Wireless (IOWA Wireless), Nex-Tech Wireless, MTA Communications, MTPCS (Cellular One Nation), Cross Telephone Company (MBO Wireless), Duet IP (Maximum Communications New Core Wireless), Inland Cellular Telephone Company, Immix(Keystone Wireless), Mosaic (Consolidated or CTC Telecom), Northwest Missouri Cellular Limited, Peoples Wireless, Panhandle Telecommunications Systems(PTCI), RINA, Revol Wireless USA, SI Wireless/Mobile Nation, SRT Wireless, Texas RSA 3 Ltd(Plateau Wireless), Thumb Cellular, United Wireless, Union Telephone Company(Union Wireless), Viaero Wireless, West Central Wireless (5 Star Wireless), Sagebrush Cellular (Nemont), Carolina West Wireless (CWW), Pine Cellular, Aio Wireless/Cricket.
T-Mobile is not liable for delayed or undelivered messages.
Information We Collect and How We Use It
We collect information that you provide or that is made available to us as a result of you choosing to participate in the text message program. This will include your mobile telephone number or similar device identifier and may include additional personal and non-personal information. We will also collect information obtained in the course of you using the text message program (such as your questions, requests, or responses and in some cases information regarding your device or your location). We use this information to provide the text message program to you and we may also use this information to provide and customize our products and services for you and to improve our products and services generally. Communications sent and received via the text message program may be retained for quality, legal, and regulatory purposes. Your wireless carrier and other service providers may also collect data from your text message usage, and their practices are governed by their own policies.
Ameritas Subscriber Alerts are not designed for or directed to children younger than the age of 13. We do not collect personally identifiable information from any person we know is under the age of 13. If we discover that we have inadvertently collected personally identifiable information from someone younger than age 13, we will delete that information from our active databases.
Note that Ameritas is a United States company. By participating in an Ameritas text message program, you consent to the transfer, storage and processing of your information in the United States, a jurisdiction in which the privacy laws may not be as comprehensive as those in the country where you reside and/or are a citizen.
For your own security and safety, never send personal or confidential information (e.g., account numbers, pin numbers, usernames, passwords or any other sensitive information) by text.
You may opt-out at any time by replying “STOP” to any text message received or by texting “STOP” to 96104. You may receive a final text confirming your opt-out.
Disclosure to Third Parties
We do not share the information we collect in connection with a text message program with third parties for their own marketing purposes. We may share the information with affiliates or third parties providing services on our behalf, in connection with any law enforcement request or legal obligation, to enforce our policies, to prevent fraud, and to protect Ameritas, our affiliates, our customers and third parties. We may also share information in connection with any bankruptcy, sale of corporate assets, or other corporate change, including any due diligence process.
Ameritas and its affiliates maintain physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect your information. Notwithstanding our reasonable steps to safeguard and to prevent unauthorized access to your information, you should be aware that there is always risk involved in transmitting information over the Internet or via wireless/mobile networks. There is also some risk that others could find a way to thwart our security systems. As a result, we cannot ensure or warrant the security and privacy of any information you transmit to us, and you do so at your own risk.
Changes to This Policy
If you have questions about our handling of your information in connection with your use of the service, you may contact us at email@example.com.
This policy was last revised on 10-2020